Barking Kitten

Fiction, musings on literature, food writing, and the occasional Friday cat blog. For lovers of serious literature, cooking, and eating.

Name:

Close to forty. Not cool. Politically left. Atheist. Happily married. No kids.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

On Reading Multiply

That is, reading multiple books simultaneously. I know a lot of people who can keep five books going at once. I can't. I never could. I can read a cookbook and a novel, or a magazine and a book, but anything more and I lose the writer's voice, the narrative thread.

I mention this as I am now in the midst of the new Joy of Cooking and the Didion omnibus, not to mention two issues of the New Yorker (Our mail is not what it could be). Were I not a valiant member of the blogosphere, I woudn't mind. But weeks of yakking about one or the other will become boring. This means I need to factor some shorter books into the mix.

Fortunately both big books are comprised of pieces--recipes or essays--and can be read in discrete chunks. But the idea of having so much going simultaneously is distasteful. Reading is the last place I care to multitask, and I comfort myself with the idea of Thanksgiving. In reality this is ridiculous; even Evelyn Wood couldn't roar through two thousand pages over a long weekend.

Such are the perils of bibliophilia.

Books, Reading

2 Comments:

Blogger Darby M. Dixon III said...

Can't do multiple books, either. So as someone who's been reading nothing but Thomas Pynchon for the last three weeks, I can sympathize with your fear of prolonged one-note blogging.

November 15, 2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger Barking Kitten said...

Yeah! Worsening matters, I went to the bookstore yesterday and couldn't find anything I was interested in, though in fairness I was in a hurry due to being on lunch break....

November 17, 2006 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home