Barking Kitten

Fiction, musings on literature, food writing, and the occasional Friday cat blog. For lovers of serious literature, cooking, and eating.

Name:

Close to forty. Not cool. Politically left. Atheist. Happily married. No kids.

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Mystery Lamb Stew





I took another bag of Norah's lamb from the freezer this morning. Photo one is what it looked like before defrosting. Photo two is what I ended up with on my cutting board. The only recognizable cut is the shoulder chop on the top right. I have no idea what the rest of it is. Ribs? And what about that hunk below the shoulder chop? Part of a leg, maybe?

Using my chef's knife and occasionally the cleaver, I trimmed as much meat as possible from the bones, shaved off as much fat as I could, then tossed everything into the old braiser to brown. I added a can of Muir Glen whole tomatoes and their juices, white wine, a little olive oil, onion, carrot, garlic, a bay leaf, and one fresh tomato that was nearing the end of its life. Shoved it in a 300 degree oven, where it is now slowly cooking into what I hope is a nice mystery lamb stew.

Update, four days later....

The stew came out fine, if a bit bland. It might have benefited from more lemon, or some green olives. Hockeyman declared it "very good" and has dutifully been cleaning out the leftovers.

,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home