Barking Kitten

Fiction, musings on literature, food writing, and the occasional Friday cat blog. For lovers of serious literature, cooking, and eating.

Name:

Close to forty. Not cool. Politically left. Atheist. Happily married. No kids.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A little more on fat....

Long ago, in the hazy mists of the past, which some of us recall as the seventies, I was a Pop-Tart-eating child. I especially liked the chocolate ones, their insides burning hot from the toaster, the white sprinkles ( sugar? plastic? ) strewn over the top, little boiling bits I would pick off and eat as the interior cooled to a chocoately sludge. One day, for no apparent reason, I began wondering about the origin of toaster pastries. They did not grow on trees, sprout from the ground, or come from herds of pop tart animals grazing alongside the cows. Depending on how you look at it, this was either my first brush with agribusiness or the beginnings of food snobbery. A snobbery that today manifests as a refusal to eat anything I cannot pronounce while reading a frozen foods box whose ingredients are listed in English. A refusal to eat anything labeled "low-fat". What's in there instead of the fat? And is it good for me? After all these years of being told to eat margarine, now we're being told it's the source of all evil.

As if anything that tasted so awful could ever be good for us.

Increasingly I am beginning to think the whole low-fat business is bull. Is Enova better for us than Plugra? Does Enova grow in the ground? Graze with the cows?

Plugra? Moo.

I know, I know--I'm a California food crank. Guilty as charged. Please pass the duck fat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home